Monday, May 07, 2007

Healing Hands

Yesterday, God sent me an angel in the form of a middle-aged Thai woman. I shall refer to her to as my "Khun Angel".

So, it really felt like Khun Angel has brought me to heaven and back although to be honest, the place where we were is a far cry from what I imagined heaven to be. It was this dingy little space located in the oldest and most dodgy shopping mall in my hometown . I was lying sprawled on a thin (and questionably clean) mattress on the floor surrounded by curtains of ugly prints. All around me, I can hear the moaning and groaning and sometimes, snoring, of others.

The name of this little piece of heaven on earth is THAI KONG MASSAGE located in Holiday Plaza, JB.

But with Khun Angel's touch, I didn't care much about the ambience. She is about my size but boy, does she pack a mean punch in those limbs! If you had a go at this before, you would know that unlike all other massages, a real hardcore Thai massage is not for the faint hearted, squermish or inflexible.

Thai massages work on relieving muscular and joint tensions in your body by the "interactive" manipulation of the body by applying pressure on the energy line and by stretching. By interactive, I mean your masseur will be really down and dirty with you: moulding you into a series of complicated yoga-like positions and using his/her own weight to apply the required pressure. At one point, Khun Angel was straddling the back of my thighs with her legs wound tightly around my ankles and leaning into my back thus bringing my legs skywards and towards my head. I was so shocked that I obediently complied without a sound. She actually laughed at this point and said something to the effect: 'I cannot believe you can do this move too!"

A couple of times during that hour, I felt Khun Angel had my life in her hands. Especially positions where she specifically warn me to stay absolutely relaxed then proceed to swing me methodically until parts of my body I never knew existed let off a loud CREEEAK!

There was also a part where she sat with her legs apart and made me lie down on a pillow placed on her....err.. lower tummy, then she gave me really good shoulder and face massage. That was pretty intimate, I thought. It felt like having your mum stroking your hair and telling you that everything will be alright...

Everything was more than alright after she was done with me. I felt like my whole body has been enlightened. Unlike all the other useless Javanese or aromatherapy oil massages I often go for, this Thai massage REALLY had sorted out all my kinks and knots.

It's nice to know that I can start battering my body again with sports because now I can always come back to her healing hands afterwards.

No comments: